Providing playground shade for our children is a matter of life and death!
Across the country, parents like you are working with PTOs and school/park administrators to help keep kids safe from dangerous UV rays and hot playground surfaces that can reach 150 degrees or more. Here are the facts you’ll need to start a dialogue about playground shade with your school district. Feel free to contact us if we can help.
- Approximately 1 out of every 5 children in the United States will grow up to have some form of skin cancer.
- Just one blistering sunburn before the age of 18 may double the risk of eventually developing melanoma (a life threatening type of skin cancer) later in life.
- Roughly 80% of a person’s total lifetime UV exposure occurs in the first 18 years of life.
- Babies, children and the elderly are highly sensitive to UV radiation and it can take less than 10 minutes for their unprotected skin to sunburn.
- Skin cancer is by far the most common cancer in the United States with more than one million new cases diagnosed each year.
- Over 90% of skin cancers can be prevented by staying safe in the sun. Staying in the shade is one of the best ways to be safe. Visit our Shade Wing Home Canopy Website
YES! I would like to help improve sun safety at my school or daycare facility with a playground shade solution.
"As a result of learning about the dangers of ultraviolet radiation, my children only play on playgrounds in the shade." -- Susanne Ramirez | Concerned Parent