Playground shade is a necessity. Children are exposed to dangerous UV rays and scorching playground equipment that can reach over 150 degrees in direct sunlight.
Here are the facts!
- Approximately 1 out of every 5 children in the United States will develop some form of skin cancer.
- One sunburn before the age of 18 may double the risk of developing melanoma (a life threatening type of skin cancer) later in life.
- Roughly 80% of a person’s lifetime UV exposure occurs in the first 18 years of life.
- Children and the elderly are at the highest risk- it can take less than 10 minutes for a sunburn to develop!
- Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States- over a million new cases are diagnosed each year!
- Over 90% of skin cancers can be prevented by practicing sun safety.